Opportunities for Schools
All day schools have the opportunity to share their presentation or music in the Stewardship Tent.
EcoFest Stewardship Presentations
Is your school involved in an exceptional local community based environmental stewardship action – something special to showcase and to share? EcoFest organizers urge you to inspire other community members in the Region of Peel with your story in the Stewardship Tent.
a) The action projects come in various forms and may reflect:
- Water quality monitoring
- School yard naturalization
- Water efficiency auditing
- Air quality monitoring
- Landfill diversion
- Pesticide-free gardening
- Idle free zones at school
- Local ecosystem/watershed community-based stewardship and restoration
b) The oral presentations, in the past have included varying creative forms…
- Environmental drama
- Visual art
- Other theatrics
- Written word
Adult chaperones must accompany elementary and secondary school participants at Ecofest.
EcoFest Music Participation
Take to the stage and have your music heard at EcoFest!
Secondary school students – with a talent in music and who are within the Region of Peel - are invited to apply. If selected, you will perform at Peel’s second annual EcoFest. Please carefully read the following criteria, create your music - then complete and submit the Application Form
with music demo to the school’s staff representative.
- ‘Unplugged’ music presentations are to be environmentally-themed - instrumental and/or vocals.
- One application with demo recording per school – Solo or group performances – band or choir welcomed (maximum of ten performers).
- Selected musician(s) applicants will have the opportunity to perform one or two songs within the allotted 6 minute ‘gig’ time.
- At least one song is to be an original student(s) creation with an environmental message. We also encourage the school representative(s) to present a second non-original, environmentally-themed song (e.g., ‘Silent Spring’ by the Eagles (instrumental); ‘Mercy, Mercy’ / ‘The Ecology Song’ by Marvin Gaye; ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ by Joni Mitchell (or more recently by Counting Crows), etc.)
- Instruments to be acoustic - Performer(s) will have only one microphone and the performance will be in the large Stewardship Tent. Care and transportation of instruments is the responsibility of the band.
Please send completed forms and music demos (by Board courier if applicable), by June 8th, 2011. Successful applicants and school staff representatives will be notified on June 10th, 2011.
Send applications to:
EcoSchools Program Leader, Peel District School Board
tel: 905-890-1010 ext. 2168 fax: 905-890-1149